Backyardfence2


Forum for discussing topics related to the town of Winchendon in Massachusetts USA.GuestThu Nov 23, 2017 10:27 pm
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Busy Bodies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mr.Nostalgia

avatar

Posts : 17
Join date : 2010-08-11
Age : 74
Location : Winchendon

PostSubject: Busy Bodies  Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:04 pm



The Town of Winchendon is an industrial and residential highland community on the upper Millers River.Originally Winchendon was heavily agricultural but in the early 19th century there was industrial development along the river. Textile manufacturing with spinning machinery was set up in 1816 on the river and cotton and wool fabric was produced.

The early decades of the 19th century showed tremendous growth in the town, accelerated by the railroad connections and the development and production of a stream of innovative machinery to cut and shape wood, such as the cylinder saw.. It had become a center for the production of woodworking machinery. The creation of the rotary-head cylinder planer is one of the proud achievements which took place here. By 1875, almost a half of a million dollars of clothespins, tubs, pails, chairs, barrels and toys were being manufactured in Winchendon. Other industries in town in the early 20th century included tanneries, textiles and a substantial dairying industry. During the first world war, as European toys were unavailable, Winchendon became the toy capital of the world, hence its nickname, "Toy Town."
==========



Alvin Streeter operated in the last quarter of the 19th century, and made a variety of machinery.

Their various tub and pail machines put them in competition with two other Winchendon businesses: Goodspeed & Wyman, and Baxter D. Whitney.

Manufacturer of woodworking machinery for the tub, pail, ice cream freezer, butter tub, fish kit, pail handle, clothes pin, wood sthingy, oval and nest box, and measure, trade. Cylinder planers, stave saws, saw benches, upright and horizontal boring machines, etc.

1898*





Since 1851. Early on, they were known as G. N. Goodspeed Machine Co.

Machinery for making tubs, pails, chairs, bobbins, and spools, plus cylinder stave saws, gauge lathes, single and double planers.

An 1867 Scientific American mentions the "Goodspeed & Wyman Sewing Machine Co." Goodspeed & Wyman were mentioned in 1873, 1874, and 1877 Manufacturer & Builder, and there is an 1877 M&B ad.



This company made Lombardy's ring saw, a sort of scroll saw, but using a "circular sawblade with the middle part open and axis removed, leaving only the circular narrow edge with the teeth."

Products included, machinery for making tubs, pails, chairs, bobbins, and spools, plus cylinder stave saws, gauge lathes, single and double planers.







Looking toward the beginning of High Street, on the right.







Morton E. Converse, eldest child of Ebenezer H. Converse (25), was born in Rindge, New Hampshire, September 17, 1837.
He was educated in the public schools of his native town and at several academies in the vicinity. He had been in the clothing business for two years at Salmon Falls, New Hampshire, when the civil war opened. In response to the first call of President Lincoln for three-year volunteers, he enlisted in the Rindge Company, of which his father was captain, and served first in the Burnside expedition to North Carolina.
In July 1862, his regiment joined the army in Virginia and participated in the battle of Bull Run (second), the battles of Chantilly, South Mountain and Antietam. In the spring following it was ordered to the army of General Grant in Mississippi and was in the siege of Vicksburg and in arduous service during the months ensuing in Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky.
Early in 1864, the regiment returned to the Army of Virginia and took part in the battle of Cold Harbor, the memorable assault on Petersburg and other historic engagements. In the autumn of that year he was mustered out at the end of his term of enlistment. While with the regiment and sharing its duties and fortunes, he was an acting commissary of subsistence. Although he escaped the rebel bullets he suffered severely from exposure and hardships and for two years was in poor health and not actively employed.

In 1867 he began at Converseville, in Rindge, New Hampshire, the manufacture of Pytoligneous acid, iron liquor, acetic acid and other products of wood acid, and continued it with success for eight years.
In 1873 he bought and refitted a mill at Converseville for the manufacture of light woodenware. Out of this beginning the business of toy manufacture, with which Mr. Converse had been connected for many years, originated. He removed to Winchendon and entered partnership with Orlando Mason, a prominent citizen and successful manufacturer of that town, and under the firm name of Mason & Converse the manufacture of toys and light woodenware was continued. In 1883 the partnership was dissolved and Mr. Converse continued the business in partnership with his uncle, Hon. Alfred C. Converse, ex-mayor of Chelsea, Massachusetts, under the firm name of Converse Toy and Woodenware Company.
They purchased the Monadnock mill, a commodious and substantial building, forty by one hundred feet, three stories high, with steam power. From year to year the business increased steadily and the capacity of the works has been correspondingly increased. In 1887 the firm became Morton E. Converse & Company, the partner's, remaining the same. A new mill was erected forty by one hundred feet, four stories high, for the manufacture of reed and rattan chairs. This business was later removed to the New Hampshire state prison, where Mr. Converse conducted it with Wilbur F. Whitney and the building was used for the addition of toys.

Another new mill of the same dimensions was built in 1891. Several others have been added to the plant since then. One of the mills was destroyed by fire, June 30, 1896, together with a large amount of lumber in the yard, but new buildings were erected at once. The factories have exceptional railroad accommodations. They have been kept up to date in every sense, being heated by steam, lighted by electricity generated in the power house of the plant, equipped with automatic sprinklers and the modern devices for protection against fire, including the thermostat fire alarm system.

Mr. Converse manufactures wooden toys in the infinite variety children's and dolls' furniture and various novelties. Special Departments are devoted to popular toys in constant demand, such as drums and dolls' trunks. Constant attention to new notions in the toy business is essential o success. Mr. Converse has a special aptitude for anticipating the wants of Young American, devising himself and securing from others the toys that attract not only the children of the United States but of the whole world, and he has built up the largest business of the kind in the united States and demonstrated the superiority of American toys in competition with the whole world. Many of the products are protect under the patent laws. At the World's Fair in Chicago the Converse Company received the highest awards for exhibiting the finest toys in the world. In other competitions of this kind, as well as in the direct competition for the trade of the world, the Converse toys have won the prizes. The business now employees nearly three- hundred hands, and produces annually a vast amount of goods. To the ability and resourcefulness of Morton E. Converse more than to any other single cause may be attributed the success of this business. He has been the manager and chief owner during the years of its greatest growth and development.

Mr. Converse has been active in the public affairs of Winchendon, taking upon himself his full share of the duties of citizenship. He is a Republican in politics, a member of the Republican Club of Massachusetts, and of the Home Market club of Boston. In 1890-91 he was a representative to the general court and was chairman of the house committee on banks and banking and member of the committee on water supply. In 1903 he was elected to state senate and re-elected in1905. He was chairman of the committees on public service, water supply, parish and religious societies, and in 1905 was a member of the committees on drainage, military affairs and street railways. He was one of the organizers and director of the Winchendon Light and Power Company, also served as its president. He was treasurer of the New England Baby Carriage Company, which is now merged in the Morton E. Converse Company & Son, president of the New England Lock and Hinge Company, was a director of the Granite State Manufacturing Company, but has now sold his interest, director of the Winchendon Board of Trade and president of Village Improvement Association. He is active in the church and in various social organizations. He is a thirty-second degree Mason, an Odd Fellow, a Member of the local tribe of Red Men, of the local Grand Army Post and of the local camp of Sons of Veterans, called after him Morton E. Converse Camp.

He married, August 19, 1869, Hattie M. Atherton, daughter of Thomas and Susan (Peathingy) Atherton, of Lowell, Massachusetts. She died October 28, 1886, leaving two children. He married (second), September 17, 1889, Bertha E. Porter, daughter of Rev. Samuel Porter, of Chicago. Children of Morton E. and Hattie M. (Atherton) Converse were: Grace Atherton, born November 17, 1873, married Dr. Louis Cross (See Cross family). Atherton Darling, born January 7, 1877.

This company remained in business until 1934.


1906* Morton E. Converse Co., at the corner of Franklin Street
and Jackson Ave.









1908*














1911*














1916* Converse Toy Factory ~ Interior Views











The original Giant Rocking Horse was built in 1912* by Morton Converse (the owner of the big toy company in town). The 12’ grey hobby horse was named “Clyde” and made from nine pine trees.
It was a copy of the company’s #12 rocking horse. In 1914, Clyde entered the local parade to celebrate the town’s 150th anniversary (Winchendon was considered the toy production capital of America and nicknamed “Toy Town”).
Clyde was moved to the railroad station for about 20 years. Then in 1934*, he moved to the edge of the Toy Town Tavern for about 30 years.
After that, he was put in storage and fell into disrepair. In 1988*, a new 12’ horse was sculpted (“Clyde II”) using the original as a model. He is now on display in a covered pavilion.



At the depot






Simplex Country Inn




At the V.F.W. ---- old E. Murdock Academy



1912* Catalog





More Converse

In 1890, they acquired the New England Lock & Hinge Co. This got them into the business of tin knocking. Now the company could start producing tin parts for their toys. It wasn't long until they were producing stamped steel toys. One of these toys was the No. 701 Trolley. Available in a trackless floor toy model and a few wind up versions, these large open trolleys were good representations of what was really running at the time. Jump ahead to 1901 and Joshua Lionel Cowen is looking for something to use his new electric motor for. The bodies are bought from Converse, already painted and decorated, and the new motor and frame installed underneath. It is cataloged each year from 1901 through 1905


1918* Morton E. Converse labeled engineer's / surveyor's trunk which unfolds into an engineering field desk!





Converse Mason Corporation

Row-Fit wooden rowing exercise machine.










Percival Wayland White






Richard Frazar White


Percival Wayland White, 54, and his family moved to Brunswick a few years before sailing on the Titanic. He has been a successful cotton manufacturer in Winchendon Springs, Mass., where he continued to own the Nelson B. White Company. His son, Richard Fraser White, 21, was a senior at Bowdoin College.

According to a paper on file at the Pejepscot Historical Society, Richard White "was not well liked by his classmates at Bowdoin," apparently because of his studiousness.

"In the 1912 Bowdoin Bugle yearbook, Richard was voted 'Least Likely to be seen on Campus," criticized for being bookish and aloof." The yearbook also said, "he would rather say 'infinitesimal particles of saline humective fluidity' than 'little drops of water.'"

Because of his focus on academics, Richard finished his senior year several months early.

In celebration of having swiftly completed his college studies, Percival had taken his son Richard to Europe on a pre-graduation trip. Having safely arrived at London aboard the Cunard liner R.M.S. Olympic, Percival attended to business matters and meetings before later joining Richard on a grand tour of Europe.

On April 10, after a two-month working vacation, Percival and Richard boarded the Olympic's sister ship, the 885-foot White Star-owned R.M.S. Titanic, for its much celebrated and greatly touted maiden voyage to Pier 59 in New York. They were in first-class cabin D-26.

At exactly noon, Titanic cast off her lines and broke all moorings. Aided by half a dozen tugboats, she departed Southampton for her first stop at Cherbourg, France.

After a short stay, Titanic left Cherbourg and preceded to Queenstown, Ireland, her last port of call. With a disputed total of 2,223 souls on board, at 1:30 p.m., on April 11, 1912, Titanic steamed away from Ireland into the west.

By Sunday evening, April 14, Richard and Percival were just two days from New York and Richard anticipated walking with his graduating class the following month.

Joining Richard and his father for a seven-course dinner in Titanic's first class D-deck dining room, were Massachusetts residents Elizabeth Lines and her daughter, Mary, who were assigned as the White's dinner companions.

Richard and Mary quickly found themselves enjoying each other's company and Mary later admitted, "I fancied myself smitten" with the younger White's refined graces and gentle mannerism.

By 11 p.m., the Whites and the Lines women had turned in for the night like most of the other passengers. At 11:20 p.m., just as Mary was falling asleep, the "Queen of the Ocean" grazed the outer edge of an Iceberg, 450 miles off the coast of Cape Race, Newfoundland.

Passengers had received no warning as to the ship's immediate peril. In fact, the only immediate sign of anything amiss came when the continuous vibration of Titanic's massive triple-screw propellers ceased.

Soon thereafter, as the forward decks began flooding, pulling Titanic's bow a few degrees down below the frigid surface of the Atlantic, a feeling of being "out of step" warned many people something was wrong. The iceberg had punctured, buckled and perforated through many 1-inch-thick steel plates approximately 10 feet above Titanic's keel.

Within moments of the collision, Titanic's engine rooms quickly flooded with 14 feet of briny, icy cold seawater, entombing many of the 300 coal-shoveling crewmen.

As passengers awoke to door-pounding stewards' calls to don life jackets, wireless operator Harold Bride began transmitting a wireless Morse code "CQD" signal in hopes to summon nearby ships.

But time was running short. Eight of Titanic's watertight compartments were nearly waterlogged. Capt. Smith, realizing his ship was doomed, gave the command to lower lifeboats, "women and children first."

By now the wireless operator had altered his appeals. By switching to a newer, relatively unused distress signal, Bride called for by tapping out "S.O.S."

Just a few miles distant, a ship that could be seen on the horizon, the S.S. Californian under the command of Capt. Stanley Lord, with its Marconi radio room closed down for the night, heard no telegraphic pleas for help. Despite the signal of distress rockets fired from Titanic's bridge, the Californian proceeded into the night.

Cunard's ship, R.M.S. Carpathia, telegraphed Titanic she was "two hours away by full steam and responding with all haste." Furthermore, Titanic's sister ship R.M.S. Olympic, which brought the Whites to Europe only two months earlier, was steaming out of New York Harbor and responding to Titanic's call.

As the ship's peril became clear, Richard and his father dressed and donned life jackets. Venturing into the terrible frenzy in a corridor, they knocked on the door of Mary and Elizabeth, who occupied the cabin next to their own.

Richard implored the startled and somewhat alarmed mother and daughter to dress quickly, put on their life vests, and "come with us." Richard and Percival escorted the women through the panic and fear-filled halls to the main deck.

On deck the panic and disorganization was no better than below. Crewmen were swinging davits away from the ship and lowering lifeboats. Throngs of worried and disbelieving passengers lined the deck as women and children awaited their chance to board the large wooden lifeboats.

Richard and Percival stayed with the Lines women, keeping them "safe, warm and calm" as their turn to board a lifeboat came closer.

By 1:30 a.m., the Whites placed Elizabeth and Mary into the No. 9 lifeboat, with 46 other people, then stayed behind, watched the two women disappear into the unknown frosty night.

With the glow of the ship's lights still illuminating the dark, the lifeboats backed away from Titanic as the "unsinkable ship" began to disappear below the waterline.

In her diary, Mary later recalled the last time she had seen Percival and "gentle" Richard, as they "removed their shoes and jumped" into the cold, dark waters, "hand-in-hand."

On Monday, April 15, at 2:20 a.m., just three hours after the crows-nest reported "Iceberg ahead," Titanic heaved violently upward, lifting its stern high above the victim-filled water to begin her dive to the briny depths.

Suddenly, with a loud and violent crack, Titanic broke in half and slipped under the calm north Atlantic. The lights of the great ship finally doused, all survivors were left to the bitter cold black of night.

At approximately 4:30 a.m., more than two hours after Titanic's plunge, Carpathia arrived on scene and began rescuing survivors. By 8 a.m. Elizabeth and Mary Lines, now safely aboard Carpathia, began searching for their friends and dinner companions who had aided them safely off the doomed liner.

As word of Titanic's sinking reached Maine, students at Bowdoin College and residents of Brunswick were stunned. The enormous loss of life at the demise of the unsinkable "ship of dreams" was all-too-difficult to comprehend.

Brunswick, and all of Bowdoin College, awaited word of the White's fate. Unfortunately, no good word was to come. When the sea disaster was over, 1,518 lives were lost.

Had Titanic reached New York harbor, it would have been Percival's 30th trans-Atlantic crossing.

On April 17, White Star Lines dispatched the cable-laying steamer S.S. Mackay-Bennett to sea from Halifax to recover bodies.

When the ship returned to Halifax two weeks later, the Canadian crew had recovered 306 bodies, of which 116 were immediately interred at sea. As the Mackay-Bennett tied up to the docks, on the morning of April 30, she had 190 bodies on her deck, one of whom was Richard White. He was still wearing his Bowdoin fraternity pin.

Some 120 victims of the disaster are buried at Fairview Lawn Cemetery in Halifax. Impressive funeral services were held in Brunswick as residents, friends, family and Bowdoin College students mourned the loss of the Whites.

Bowdoin College presented Richard's mother with her son's diploma. At the eulogy, Bowdoin President William DeWitt Hyde said Richard's studies had earned him "the highest honors."

Richard's uncle, former Maine Gov. John D. Long, remarked that his nephew "was a young man of great promise." Friends remembered Percival as a "reputable businessman" and "beloved friend." Elizabeth and Mary Lines hailed the two as "heroes."

Soon after the funeral, Richard's body was transported to the family cemetery in Winchendon Springs, Mass. Though they jumped together, Percival's remains were never identified.






Orlando Mason attended the academy at Thetford, Vt., and became a school teacher. March 4, 1844, he went to Winchendon and entered the employ of E. Murdock Jr., where he remained nine years, six years in learning the practical portion of the manufacture of woodenwares, and the last three years in the office. In 1853 he went into business for himself, buying a half interest in the sawmill and pailshop of Ephraim Kendall. In 1863 he became sole owner, and in 1869, his son, Dwight Leslie Mason, became a partner. In 1879 a partnership was formed with Morton E. Converse, who, in 1883, bought Mr. Mason's interest. That year Mr. and Mrs. Mason went to Europe. Later he bought the Weston mill, in which were made tubs, pails and churns, and in 1890 he formed a partnership with H. N. Parker in the manufacture of bit braces. In 1903 this firm was merged in the National Novelty Corporation. He was active in forming the Winchendon Savings Bank, of which he was president for twenty-five years; was one of the promoters of the First National Bank of Winchendon, and a director for many years; representative, 1870; trustee of Cushing Academy at Ashburnham, Mass.; director of the Fitchburg Mutual Fire Insurance Company. He was a prominent member of the North Congregational Church at Winchendon and superintendent of its Sunday School for twenty-two years.
He was musically inclined and when living in Sullivan played the bass drum in the militia company, and in 1887 he went there and gave an address at the centennial celebration of the town.

Tributes to Sullivan N.H.

The President called upon Orlando Mason, Esq., of Winchendon, Mass., a prominent business man of that town, to respond to this sentiment.

Address of Orlando Mason, Esq.

MR. PRESIDENT,--Fifty years ago, when entering my teens, I thought Sullivan a remarkable town. The people, the farms, the herds and flocks, seemed to me above the average; and, as I listened to the addresses of your president and historian to-day, and partook of your bountiful dinner, my youthful dreams were fully confirmed.

Our forefathers were a noble race. History fails to give a parallel for such devotion to principles as is recorded of them. They left home and friends and fatherland, and crossed the pathless ocean, to found a nation where they could worship God according to the dictates of conscience. Passing their trials and triumphs in the wars with England, we see them, by their representatives, drafting the Declaration of Independence. They knew, when they put their names to that immortal document, that it meant liberty or death. As one of their number said, "If we do not hang together, we shall hang separately." Eleven years later, was assembled in the same room another representative body of their number (among them were some of the signers of the Declaration of Independence), for the purpose of drafting a Constitution for the States. There were conflicting interests, and one of the thirteen states failed to be represented in the Convention. After laboring days and weeks without reaching any satisfactory results, Benjamin Franklin, then over eighty years of age, moved that thereafter the sessions be opened with prayer, saying, "I have lived a long time, and the longer I live the more certain I am that God rules in the affairs of men." Page 42 They labored other weeks and months and brought forth one of the most remarkable instruments the world has ever known. The adoption of the Constitution of the United States and the incorporation of the Town of Sullivan occurred the same month of the same year -- one hundred years ago.

Our fathers were worthy sons of worthy sires. They arose early and toiled late, and ate the bread of carefulness. They purchased nothing they could raise or make, and allowed nothing to waste. Our mothers, too, of blessed memory, were like those of whom Solomon says, "She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands." While our fathers were felling the trees, or planting the crops, or caring for the herds and flocks, our mothers were carding the wool, and spinning the yarn, and weaving the cloth, and making the garments for the half-dozen, or half-score of children that God had given her, and for whom she was thankful, and never wished the number less. Our fathers were an intelligent people. They had not collegiate or academic advantages, and their schools were of the primitive kind. Yet they appreciated them, and considered the school-master second only to the minister. They read and they thought. They read the history of their country till they knew it by heart. They read the weekly newspaper, advertisements and all. And they read that book which great minds of all ages have pronounced "the book of books"--the Bible; and they drew from it lessons of wisdom, and integrity, and morality, which they practised in their lives and handed down to posterity. They were a social people. When the corn and beans were in the chamber, and the potatoes, and apples, and beef, and pork, and cider were in the cellar, and the shed was filled with the best of cleft, dry, hard wood, they used often during the winter months to invite their friends to spend an afternoon and take an early tea; and they discussed affairs of church, and town, and state, and nation; while the children listened, or joined in the conversation.

They wished their children to be social, and occasionally the large kitchen, always neat, received an extra touch; the white floor was sanded, the best of wood was on the open fire, an extra number of tallow candles were placed about the room, in iron or brass candle-sticks, and a row of boards on sap buckets served for seats, and the younger members of their families were invited for a social time. They sang songs, played games, and conversed with as much pleasure and profit as in gatherings at the present time.

Ruskins says, "It is better to be nobly remembered than nobly born." Our fathers came of good stock, they had good blood in their veins--let us, their children, see that they are nobly remembered. Let us, by our lives and the history of the town, hand down their virtues, not only to our children, but to our children's children yet unborn.

1893*Homer Newton Parker Inventer

Parker pawl and ratchet coupling for bit-braces







Mason and Parker Co. Winchendon, Massachusetts
1899 - 1966
Founder: H. N. Parker and Orlando Mason
Specialty: Pressed-steel transportation toys. Later, (1907), Mason & Parker switched to wooden products, including proven standard, Boy's Tool Chest.

Description: Childs metal foot locker travel trunk with factory green paint. Educational Playthings original manufacturer's label from Mason & Parker Company of Winchedon, Massachusetts. There are eleven different souvenir travel stickers on the chest. The places of interest are: Hudson Bay, Asia, Switzerland, Australia, Siam, Hawaii, S.S. Alexandria, Hamburg American Yacht, Santa Fe Railroad, Nebraska's Big Rodeo Burwell Nebraska 1939, and H.M.S. Queen Elizabeth. There are two leather carrying handles.



R. Bliss Mfg. Co. Pawtucket, Rhode Island
1832 - 1914

Sold to Mason and Parker Co., Winchendon, Massachusetts.
Founder: Rufus Bliss
They were in the toy business for 100 years.
Bliss had over a one hundred-year history, although the earliest ad for toys appeared in the New England Business Directory in 1871. Pioneered in development of lithographed paper on wooden toys including dolls' houses, boats, trains, and building blocks.





Beautiful 19th c. hand-colored lithograph of the residence of Mrs. Elisha (Whitney) Murdock, born, Jan. 22, 1861. Married Ephaim, Jan. 31, 1889.





Ephraim Murdock, Esq., had a very tasteful and profitable garden, a fine orchard of ingrafted fruit, and in short, everything in order and as it should be. But what should be more particularly noticed, is a Cider mill of his own invention, (without patent) on quite a new plan of construction, with nutts (or cylinders with logs and corresponding mortises) operating horizontally, instead of perpendicularly.... The peculiar excellence of this mill is, that it will grind twice as fast with half the power.... Those who may be desirous of obtaining a mill of this kind, or a correct knowledge of this, had better view it themselves.


The mill is slightly larger than average, 26' by 39'. It also has a three-screw press whereas many more mills seem commonly to have had two screws. The most striking difference about the mill, though, is its crusher. The nuts on the crusher, instead of standing vertically, have been placed down on their sides and run horizontally. The cylinders are not powered directly by a sweep but by a 70-inch wooden drive gear which in turn is powered by a horse-drawn sweep.

Glass washboard



Another glass


Pilgrim Washboard




Another Pilgrim






Tin




Glass






Colonial Puritan Washboard-- made into a mirror





Sugar Bucket



Wooden Bucket & Lid




Covered Wooden Boxes
The smaller one measures 3 in. high and 6 1/2 in. in diameter, the larger one is 9 in. in diameter and 5 in high.



Pantry Box





Miniature Firkin--(small wooden container)




Abraham Anderson & Joseph Cambell signed firkin

In 1876* Joseph Cambell started; Cambell Soup Co.









Primitive Band Pantry Box-- With Folk Art Painting





Pantry Box










Murdock & Fairbanks
















Half Pint Bottle






1960's One Gallon Bottle ( Jug )







Murdock Milkcaps







Murdock Orange-Nip Cap



Assorted Dairy Caps

















Thomas McCarty-- Elmwood Dairy





Notice the letter H in McCarty on this pint bottle.



McCarty 1/2 pint







View from rear of mill




Workers at the N.D. White and Sons' Mill

National Child Labor Committee Collection

Batise Joseph, (family still in town)



Marion Deschere on left is 13, next is Mildred Greenwood 14


Mill girl 13


Mill group


Mill group


Mill group

Mill sweepers


Another


Erenne La Prise 13


Erenne on left


Rosina Goyette 12


Looking for way out?





1890's* Beer Bottle

Champagne beer shape, circ: 1875-1920

Typical size: 9 1/4 x 2 3/4.



Rounded taper lip, circ: 1847-1920

This type of lip is often called a "blob" top by collectors. It was first used on soda shaped bottles and later on various shapes of beer bottles. Its rounded shape prevented chipping and provided the strength needed to mount various closures. It was used almost exclusively on pony and champagne beer shaped bottles. It was by far the most common type of lip used on pre-crown soda and beer bottles.

Used to bottle lager, champagne, and small beers, such as root beer, with a Hutter Stopper, circ: 1893-1920,

Invented by: Karl Hutter,




American Patent: February 7, 1893

A tapered porcelain plug was fitted with a rubber washer on the bottom and forced into the lip of the bottle to seal it.







==========










==========



==========




==========



1937*

"Old Meeting House Crafted Maple Furniture", made by Winchendon Furniture Corp.















Pegged Furniture










Winchendon Furniture Corp.
circa. 1950's

Paul McCobb Dining Chair



Paul McCobb Desk


==========



1955* Temple-Stuart opened a plant in town, at the end of Murdock Avenue, after it purchased the facility from, Davis and Martin. Saloom Furniture Co. now operates at that location.

1950's Temple-Stuart Co. Corner Cabinet





1960's Temple-Stuart Co., China Hutch and Credenza
(buffet), Extension Table and Chairs



Hutch and Credenza

==========



Catalogue of woodenware, manufactured and for sale by M.T. Nash & Sons, Winchendon, 1880. This company produced a large variety of woodenware including churns, butter stamps, Shaker brooms, mop handles, barrel covers, tubs, boxes.




==========



Magazine Rack


Label on bottom


==========



(Brown Pakage)--Pail and Buckets

Was located on Spruce Street

They also owned the Alaska Freezer

1906* Browns Pail Shop





Alaska Freezer Part One*



1900* Two Pamphlets





1905* Recipe Booklet



1909* Magazine Ad



1910* North Pole Freezer







Recipe Booklet



1920's Brochure



Leaflet



Billhead



Ice Pick






Triple-Vac 1 qt. Iceway-ice cream maker- AlaskaFreezer Co.






Hostess- ice cream maker - made by the Peerless Freezer Company



Hostess 4 Qt.--with carton and instructions



1955*Peerless Freezer Co.

Hostess Ice Cream freezer



Hostess 4 QT (with carton)






White Mountain (Miniature)








1963* Wood 2qt.



4qt.





Alaska Freezer Two*

1963* Wood 2qt.



4qt.





Artic 4qt.





White Mountain Electric



1976* Electric 6 qt.





Ice Crushers






Alaska Royal- Model 37- Ice Crusher




Alaska Royal- Model 87



Homemade ice cream recipe

Ingredients:

4 eggs
2 & 1/2 Cup sugar
6 cups milk
3 cups light cream
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tablesthingys vanilla
1/2 teasthingy salt

Directions:

This recipe is handy if you have an old hand-turned ice-cream maker in your garage, attic or basement and have forgotten how to use it;

Beat the eggs until light and fluffy. Add the sugar gradually as you continue to beat. Do this until the mixture thickens.

Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.

Pour the mix into an old handcranked ice cream freezer, pack ice and salt around the sides of the bucket. Then grab the handle and start turning.

As soon as the ice cream thickens so much that you can hardly turn the crank, cover the whole ice cream maker with a heavy layer of newspaper (or equivalent) and let it sit for about 20 minutes.

Then just pull out the bucket, pry off the lid and it's ready to eat!


Mitre Box












White Mountain apple parer, corer, and slicer.






Cherry Pitter



Popcorn Popper







































 
Busy Bodies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Backyardfence2 :: Guests Read-Only Forums :: Nostalgia-
Jump to: