Backyardfence2

Forum for discussing topics related to the town of Winchendon in Massachusetts USA.GuestThu Nov 23, 2017 10:36 pm

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Flowers and vegetables locally grown

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sisu1965

PostSubject: Flowers and vegetables locally grown  Sun May 05, 2013 9:35 am

Don't forget we have our own locally grown flower and vegetable business right here in Winchendon. Keep your buisness in town and we will grow right along with the flowers. I know Ann will appreciate your business.
johnhwhite

PostSubject: Re: Flowers and vegetables locally grown  Mon May 06, 2013 8:56 am

Thank you, Sisu, for the reminder.

I am pretty much retired from gardening (was never that great a fan, though I did vegetables just to help with the food supply and budget for many years), but my snow bird son-in-law will be back here soon. He is much more into it.

I suspect that he, like many others, too easily head for the garden centers at the big box stores and forget about our local growers. Our local people are likely to offer a superior product and patronizing them helps the local economy. It might take a little more time, but is a win-win situation.

This thread points out how hard it is for local businesses to promote themselves. For a small local business, TV is impossible. Even radio, such as it is, is difficult and questionably cost effective. Print newspapers? They may be the best opportunity but even here cost-effectivness is a question. And I speak from experience: over 30 years in local retail. I enjoyed helping people, filling a need, but I didn't get rich.

JW

PostSubject: Re: Flowers and vegetables locally grown  Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:39 am

chevy

PostSubject: Re: Flowers and vegetables locally grown  Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:16 am

I agree - FB is the way to go. I only read the paper occasionally. A one time mailing to all residents would be worth it too. I would love to buy local more often. Hard for working families to buy local sometimes - there are a couple reasons for this:
1 - You can make 1 stop (Walmart) and get your vegetable plants and cat food, etc. at the same time. Only having 2 days/wk to get all chores done, go to games and try to spend time with kids is difficult.  
2 - Famer's market is nice, usually can't stop though because people that actually have money to spend work way out of town and need to pick up kids and get home asap to get supper/baths etc.
3 - Local (alot of the time) costs more.
I know, it's just excuses. Maybe if they would set up at the old Mylec (on the way to the Rindge stores) it would be a better place for customers to see/stop. On a Saturday or Sunday when everyone does their grocery shopping.
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flowers and vegetables locally grown 

Flowers and vegetables locally grown
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Backyardfence2 :: Guests Read-Only Forums :: Gardening-
Jump to: